We offer fully portable digital theaters with true HD (using all the width of 1920 and most of the height), with fulldome movies and zoom-in digital starfields. With support from NASA REASoN and a strong partnership with museums and universities, we bring the excitement of museum-quality shows, presenting a wide range of educational topics, in a state-of-the-art mobile digital theater system, to you. Our domes are fully flame retardant and handicapped-accessible, and users can come and go during a show. We offer new portable inflatable domes, new high-resolution projectors, and educational and entertainment shows, in additional to bringing "on the road" programs to schools and special events. Daily rentals available from our extensive partner network.
ePlanetarium®, along with Space Update®, is a division of MTPE, Inc., a woman-owned small business. "Brings the Professor to You"™.
Why Choose ePlanetarium?
- We are the only woman-owned small business planetarium company (great for your federal grant proposals)
- We are the only one with published educational research on the effectiveness of dome shows on science retention
- We are the only planetarium company owned by an Astronomy Professor with 40+ years of experience
- We are the most modular system - upgrade or have onsite backups easily! When projectors or laptops improve, retire these to a classroom!
- We have the only planetarium software (MediaShow) that allows closed-captioning on demand
- We can show the most kinds of content: fulldome prewarped, fulldome fisheye, 3D prewarped, 3D blueray widescreen, normal widescreen DVDs
- New 360VR player allows you to control which half the full sphere you show in the dome: Share the VR™.
- We can inexpensively upgrade fixed dome theaters - and you don't have to take down your star ball!
- We allow you to play only part of a show in a live performance.
- We give back to the community with over 50% of all profits used for public education
- We have rentals and rent-to-own available.
- We can create a custom show (fulldome or VR)
Discover the Difference!
This isn't your old crawl-in star dome!
- Fulldome Video with Sound: museum-quality fulldome shows are available on all science topics; project a dynamic night sky with stars, planets, constellations, and more.
- Shows aligned with Science Objectives: over 80,000 students experienced a Discovery Dome in Houston alone in 2011 .. and over 90% of the teachers chose an educational movie instead of a star show... because it met their educational objectives!
- Upgradeable Components: high-end off-the-shelf components can be upgraded as new projector or computer technology is released - never be stuck with old technology again! And get LOCAL service on your projector and laptop!
- High Definition Resolution: true 1920x1080 gives sharp, vivid, images which fill virtually the entire dome!
- Double the Pixels: almost twice as many pixels projected as Digital Starlab or the Digitarium Gamma from Digitalis! (They use only a 1080 circle - we use all 1920 across. We even have 30% more pixels than Digitarium epsilon.)
- Walk-in Dome: stand up entry, no crawling required; continuous entry and exit without disrupting a show; handicapped accessilble! Special flap to allow projection even on the doorway. Widest range of sizes, types, and colors of any dome manufacturer - now with the new semipermanent Zodiac dome for sale or rent! Beware of imitations - we use only Go-Domes™!
- 3D Available: Our new projectors change in a flash from fulldome to 3D - NO OTHER SYSTEM is that flexible! And now with "Mediawaarp 3D" available in our special 3D upgrade.
- Custom Projection Surface: minimizes wrinkles, crosstalk, and sound echoes. Self-closing vents (now copied by Digitalis) allow ventilation without bouncing; resists deflation when large groups exit.
- Highly Mobile: fast set up (less than 20 minutes), easy to operate, lightweight, easy for one person to carry in a compact car or check as airline luggage.
- Ease of Use: MediaSHOW is designed for ease of use in having full control of images, movies, sequences, and clips. Training takes just a few minutes and is included in the price. And it is easy to create your own custom show from clips, stills, and sound!
- Star-field Software: Stellarium, included free, is a collaborative software application that uses the talents of the entire community to provide the best software!
- Compare to Digitalis or Starlab: See more reasons to choose Discovery Dome over Digitalis or Starlab by seeing our comparison.
SIGN UP for the eclipse mailing list.
Sign up to receive information about the Total Solar Eclipse, August 21, 2017 - locations, safe observing, etc. For most of the US, this will be the first eclipse they will see. Let's do it safely and have fun!
SHARE the VR™
Our new Fishtank software allows INSTANT playback of VR360 movies. Use the arrow keys to move your field of view around the full sphere movie - up, down, or backwards! No goggles needed - use your peripheral vision and SHARE the experience!.
DIGISTAR NOW AVAILABLE
Affordable meets awesome! Systems are now available with the amazing Digistar 6 Lite or the powerful MediaShow operating system.
The latest version of MediaShow has an important fixed bug relating to resolving file paths on Windows machines. We recommend all users update to the version 4.8.
Geo-Go-Dome™, Discovery Dome at White House, updates, Digistar® Lite system
The new Geo-Go-Dome™ from ePlanetarium was the hit of the first "Live on Green" family festival Dec 29-31, 2015 in Pasadena, California.
Plays back both fisheye and warped content and plays fully immersive games on a dome system!
In this interview from the Video Gamers United Convention, ConfidentGamers.com learns how ePlanetarium can convert Unity-based games to full-dome for a totally immersive experience using our new Fishtank software and Fishbowl personal dome.
We're excited to announce that our research paper on dome education is now published in the premiere issue of the Journal for Astronomy Education and Outreach. We show that the dome experience signficantly enhances learning retention over learning the same content by means of a computer. Conclusion: The dome is an experience, not just one more movie.